Pages

12.30.2014

November Reflections

Successes:
  • Geometry - I "flipped" my classroom for the Congruent Triangles unit! Here is the webpage I created to hold all of the information for the unit.  At first, the students were very reluctant to watch videos. The students that want to do well, really liked this way of learning. They were able to come to class with questions on concepts that they didn't understand. I was able to address these concepts while students that didn't complete the "homework" were getting caught up. I was also able to spend more time in class helping students identify and practice different concepts. 
  • Algebra 2 - Graphing Polynomials - We started a HUGE unit on Graphing Polynomials. Students began with trying to come up with the Vertex Form of a parabola by doing an exploration activity. I really liked this, and so did they! 
  • I attended the GKCMPA Algebra 2 EOC Workshop and learned so much information!


Concerns & Possible Solutions:
  • Geometry - Congruent Triangles - I need to find a way to get students to watch the videos. Right now, I don't have any accountability factor, they just don't get as much time to practice in class.  
  • Algebra 2 - Graphing Polynomials - This UNIT is HUGE! I've been trying to give a lot of small formatives, I just need to figure out a way for students to keep track of their progress through the unit...I really like giving formatives that are specific to each separate objective. 
  • Algebra 2 - Graphing Polynomials - Students aren't doing any practice outside of class. Most of this unit is centered around the graphing calculator. Can I create 2.0 practice for homework that doesn't require a calculator? (Calculating the vertex and axis of symmetry?)


Questions:

  • How can I get students to stay off their phones while I am instructing? Our current technology policy is that technology should be put away when a student enters a room. Students are struggling because they aren't always paying attention completely because they are responding to a text message....
  • Recurring because I still don't have an answer: How can I hold students accountable for homework? I need to still go over it to make sure the students that do the homework can check the answers they got.

No comments:

Post a Comment